Kolonus hill in Thermopylae
Opposite the contemporary Leonides' Memorial stands a low hill that has been identified with Kolonus where the final phase of the Battle of Thermopylae took place. The shape of Kolonus hill, where the last phase of the 480B.C. battle took place, has changed from ancient year till our days due to the construction of consecutive defensive works in different areas. This fact is accredited by the significance it had as a strategic defense spot. The small-range excavation carried out in 1939 in the aforementioned hill has come to a variety of spears and edges made of steel and copper dating back to the 5th century BC, some of which were acquired by Easterners. According to Herodotus' narration those who died fighting in the battle of Thermopylae were buried. In their honor a lion made of stone and three plain monuments were erected. Today on the top of the hill appears to be a representation of the epigram of Simonides of Kios.
1. Coming from Athens on National Highway Road to Lamia, after the tollpost of Agia Triada, we take the route firght to the Local Community of Thermopylae.
2.Coming from Thessaloniki on National Highway Road to Athens, after the city of Lamia we take the route right to the Local Community of Thermopylae.