Main Railway Station
The connection of Lamia with the National Railway of the country is done through the Central Station. The passengers are transferred to the Station of Leinokladi through which connections to the whole country are available. During the day transportation is provided to visitors and residents who want to commute from Leinokladi towards the centre of Lamia, the area of Megali Vrisi in Fthiotida, Agia Marina while the final destination is the town of Stilida.
About 130 years ago Greece was much less bigger and weaker and its borders were just outside Lamia. There were no roadways not even the basic and affordable in our days means of transportation, the car, the bus or truck. The railway network had started to be planned and be formed but it was not fully operational. In 1900 the construction work of building a great network of 'international' fame railway connecting Piraeus-Thiva-Livadia-Leinokladi-Larisa-Papapouli (which were the Greek-Turkish borders at the time). Its length was approximately 400 kilometres. Apart from the basic network two junctions were constructed : Schimatari-Halkida and Leinokladi-Lamia-Stilida which wee 22 Kilometres long each. The construction work was completed in 1909.
If we move westwards along Konstantinoupoleos street, we will see the Central Railway Station on the left hand side.